Springville Senior Center ADA Policy
The Springville Senior Center will comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. The Springville Senior Center will make reasonable accommodations in programs to enable participation by an individual with a disability who meets essential eligibility requirements for that recreation program.
When trips are scheduled using the Senior Center’s van, the following policies are in place to provide reasonable accommodations.
- Portable oxygen and respirators may be brought by participants. Participants should be able to carry the oxygen or respirators on their own for any activities, but will receive help getting them on and off the van.
- Action will be taken to allow for additional time for individuals to board and disembark from the vehicle.
- Service animals qualified under ADA guidelines are allowed on the floor of the vehicle or on the participants lap if needed. Animals are not allowed on the seats. Service animals should be under the control of their owners at all times and not present a threat to other participants. Service animals may not go to the bathroom in the vehicle. Any accidents by service animals may prevent future rides in the van. Individuals are responsible for ensuring the requirements for service animals at the locations that are being attended.
- The wheelchair lift on the van will be maintained regularly.
- Individuals who require the wheelchair lift will be accommodated whenever possible and securement straps will be available for use. Senior Center employees will assist with use of the ramp and securing individuals. Individuals must be able to make their way to the van on their own prior to loading and will need to be able to transport themselves once arriving at the activity. Caretakers may attend at the same cost as other participants. Individuals are responsible for ensuring wheelchair access at the locations that are being attended.
- Individuals requiring wheelchair access on the van are responsible for alerting staff within one week of a trip posting. After one week, accommodations will be made as long as space is available in the van.